Monday, July 2, 2012

Granular Synthesis Part 2

I'm making this a new post because the comments section acts up when I try to post there...

Jan pointed out that the use of MIDI devices is, in a sense, deprecated in ChucK. So I'm currently researching and playing with LiSa to do granular synthesis.

The nice thing about LiSa is that you can hook up anything that is a sound source - like an oscillator or SndBuf - and use that to make the grains. In addition, you can mathematically synthesize grains. This allows much more freedom in synthesis techniques than a MIDI controller.

There are several LiSa example files in the examples/special folder. For some reason, however, a few of the files aren't working for me at the moment... But for those that do work, the sound is very unique...

This thread (also where I got the "garbage" MP3 and the "DigitalTape" code) has to do with granular synthesis. I will post any other threads I find in a comment.

-Julia

Using ChucK for Granular Synthesis

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14196

There is a good description starting from the May 14 post and down between two users explaining creating code from scratch or using LiSa.  Kassen explains it well.

2 comments:

  1. Just updating this post: I put a folder called "Granular Synthesis Files" in the drop box. I can post code here if that works better, but that folder contains all the variations of one main granular synthesis program I wrote this morning.

    Judy, let me know what you think/if this is what you are looking for in terms of granular synthesis not using LiSa. I think that an FFT could easily be incorporated into these files to analyze an incoming .wav file, and then use that analysis to assign frequencies to various oscillators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm behind. I definitely do not want to do granular synthesis with MIDI. Also, being able to use any source with ease for granular synthesis is a huge plus.
    Judy F

    ReplyDelete